Village Elementary Attendance
Village Elementary School Attendance
Reporting and Verifying Absences
1. If your child attends the Village Main campus, please report absences immediately by calling our attendance line the morning of the absence (619-522-8915, ext. 2.) All absences must be verified within 48 hours by direct phone call or note signed by a parent/guardian and delivered to the attendance clerk, Benny Puente. EACH consecutive day of absence must be called in and verified.
2. If your child attends ECDC, please report absences immediately by calling our attendance line the morning of the absence (619-522-8923, ext. 2.) All absences must be verified within 48 hours by direct phone call or note signed by a parent/guardian and delivered to the attendance clerk, Holly Gaughan. EACH consecutive day of absence must be called in and verified.
3. Our attendance policy stipulates that absences can only be excused for the following reasons: personal illness; health department quarantine; medical, dental, optometric or chiropractic appointments; 1 day for in-state or 3 days for out of state attendance at funeral services for an immediate family member; any court ordered appearance such as a subpoena; exclusion for failure to present evidence of immunization; observance of a religious holiday; attendance at a SART or SARB (Attendance Review) hearing.
4. Any absence, for any reason other than those listed above, is considered unexcused. An excused absence that is not properly reported or verified within 48 hours will be considered unexcused. A student's grade may be negatively affected by unexcused absences.
5. Parents are expected to schedule medical and court appointments outside the instructional day. When scheduling an appointment during school hours is unavoidable, students must follow proper procedures or risk being marked truant. Any student leaving campus must report to the office FIRST. Students are required to be signed out by the parent when being picked up for outside appointments.
6. When a student has had more than 5 consecutive days or 14 total excused absences in a school year, any further absences for illness must be verified by a physician with a doctor’s note or they will be unexcused.
Students are considered to be present and not tardy when they are physically inside their classroom by 8:10 (8:20 at Village's ECDC). Parents should be aware that by law, students are considered truant when they have any combination of 3 unexcused absences or tardies over 30 minutes.
Independent Contracts for Study
Parents should be aware that five or more absences in a grading period may have a significant negative effect on a student’s academic progress. Therefore, students who will miss five or more consecutive days for reasons other than illness are encouraged to complete Independent Contract for Study in lieu of attending school, not to exceed 20 days per school year.
To be eligible for independent study, parents must send a written request to the Village School administration at least 5 days prior to the planned absence outlining the dates and reasons for the request. If approved, the student must have each teacher sign the appropriate documentation, prior to leaving for independent study.
All work must be submitted on the day the student returns. It is extremely important that students have regular attendance until the end of the school year. This is particularly so during the last few weeks of the final trimester when end-year assessments are administered, the results from which are critical to completing student report cards and in ascertaining progress on Strategic Planning SMART goals. No independent contracts will be issued after May 31.
Please give administration and classroom teachers as much notice as possible in order to prepare work for the Independent Contract for Study.
VES Registration Information ›
- Village Elementary Attendance ›
Parent Involvement ›
CUSD Child Care ›
Military Families ›
Health Office ›
Food Services & Student Nutrition ›
Special Education ›
District Student Calendar for 2017-18 ›
Kindergarten Registration for Fall 2017 ›
- VES Registration Information ›
Students & Parents
Student & Parent Portal
Sign in to Coronado Unified School District’s Student Portal to check your grades and attendance, access important resources, and more!Login to your account