BYOD Program Participant Information
BYOD Program Participant Requirements
If your family is acquiring a computer device for school use, please comply with the following to-do list for optimum computer device performance throughout the school year.
SETTING UP - The following checklist should be done AT HOME, prior to the first week of school:
- Read the computer User Manual.
- Refer to the User Manual for battery charging instructions and care of batteries.
- When the computer asks for a name and a password, be sure to write down the information you entered and remember it.
- Register your software with Microsoft.
- Create a fact sheet; keep it handy. The sheet should include the computer devices’ serial number, the processor type and speed, the operating system, the amount of random access memory, and the hard-drive capacity. Have this information available when accessing tech support.
- Label all parts of the computer device.
- Store software CDs in a safe place. Do not allow students to bring them to school.
- ADJUST your homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy to cover theft/loss of the computer device. Village Elementary assumes no responsibility for theft/loss of the computer device.
- Keep COMPUTER MANUFACTURER and SOFTWARE TECH SUPPORT numbers handy.
DURING THE SCHOOL YEAR:
- BACK UP YOUR FILES - If using Microsoft Office, make copies of important files to a USB Drive.
- NOTE: Google Drive users will NOT need to perform backup of files.
- Keep files organized in folders and with appropriate titles for easy finding.
- TROUBLE-SHOOT - Familiarize yourself with the computer device User Manual, especially the trouble-shooting section. If there is still a problem, contact computer manufacturer.
- NETWORK TECH SUPPORT AT SCHOOL – Village Elementary supports network connections ONLY. If you are having network/Internet connectivity issues, contact the Technology Resource Teacher, Traci Orth, at email@example.com.
FOR WINDOWS OS MACHINES:
- DISK CLEANUP - Run a Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter each month. Go to Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and run Disk Cleanup and Disk
- UPDATE - Every month, check Microsoft’s web site (http://www.microsoft.com) for Windows updates and patches.